Sunday, April 20, 2008

Butter Cake w/Buttercream Icing

Happy Birthday to....nobody? ha ha...I decided I wanted to make this cake after having a very, very stressful day at work Friday. Cooking is my Calgon :) hey that would be a great blog name huh? ha ha, anyway, I just really enjoy baking and making this cake really made me feel better and it tasted really good too! I just got it off the Wilton website, boy do they have a lot out there! I always wanted to take one of their cake decorating classes but with all the instructions I don't see why now. They even provide "practice" sheets to practice icing skills so maybe one day I'll print all that out and really try to become good at decorating. I was just kinda messing around with this cake because of my stress level but I had fun anyway. Anyway, here is how I made it:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray pans with vegetable pan spray.

In mixer bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add eggs one at a time (mix well after each addition) Mix in vanilla
Mix flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour mixed alternately with milk, starting with flour.
Pour into prepared pans bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and spongy to the touch






Cool 10 minutes in pan, loosen sides and remove, cool completely before decorating.






I split both cakes with this handy, dandy tool. I just got it so I was quiet impressed...I know I'm amused easily...


Buttercream Icing (I doubled Wiltons recipe)
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup of butter, softened
2 tsp clear vanilla extract
8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
4 tbs milk


In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with mixer, add vanilla, gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Well all mixed in it will appear dry, add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use, Refrigerate in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re whip before using.
Decorate at will...or if your are stressed like I was just have at it and let your anxiety spread away :)
- Maybe I'll take that Wilton class and my cakes will improve :)



1 comment:

Tara the Foodie said...

Wow, look at that cake! Those layers look perfect, actually. I've never seen that tool before that cuts the layers in half - how does that work? It looks so handy! Don't worry, I'm amused easily, too. haha... And if you ever want a free cake decorating class, I can teach you! I used to do it as a job when I was 18 and I still remember everything!