Monday, September 8, 2008

MIXED MEAT CANNELLONI




Hey! I can't believe it...I'm posting and it's not just for the Daring Bakers Challenge...hoooray! Anyway, I HAD to share this recipe! The picture above isn't the best but it did taste good and I should have left it in the oven a bit longer to allow the top to brown a bit more but it was 8:30 on a work night and I think my husband was going to absolutely die!!! :) Next time will be better - hey maybe I'll swap the picture then :) Anyway, I was at Borders convincing myself I do NOT need another cookbook until I start making things in the ones I already bought. (I just love looking through them though!!!) Anyway, this one was on the clearance section for $4.99...now how can you pass that up...I looked in it and saw a baklava recipe (me and my mom love Baklava) anyway...had to get it! It's called 500 Best-Ever Recipes Mediterranean and this recipe just caught my eye...I defiantly recommend you make it, me and my daughter was eating just the meat in the pan that wouldn't fit in the cannelloni's. Well here is how I made it with some changes to the original recipe:

Bring a pot of water to a boil and make cannelloni (or I used mancotti) and make to box directions.



Heat 4 TBS of olive oil in pan, add 1 onion finely chopped, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 2 ripe Italian plum tomatoes peeled and finely chopped. Cook over low heat, stirring for about 10 minutes or until soft. Add 4 1/2 oz of ground beef, 4 1/2 oz of ground pork and 9 oz of ground chicken. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to break up. Then add 2 Tbsp of butter and 6 Tbsp heavy cream and cook gently stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.




Preheat oven to 375 degrees

To make white sauce, melt 1/4 cup of butter in medium saucepan, add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add 3 3/4 cups of milk slowly while whisking vigorously. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring, until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper and whisk well. Remove from heat.




Spoon a little of the white sauce into a baking dish. Fill the tubes with the meat mixture and place in a single layer in the dish, Pour the remaining white sauce over them, then sprinkle with Parmesan. (recipe calls for 1 cup...I used a bit more because I love it). Bake for 35-40 minutes until heated through. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Tara the Foodie said...

Yum! It looks like it was creamy and really good! It's so nice to see something other than dessert on here! haha... Wonderful looking meal!